1. Job Purpose
The Driver provides reliable and safe driving services to the Representative, Deputy Representative, and other high-ranking UN officials and visitors ensuring the highest standards of discretion and integrity, sense of responsibility, and excellent knowledge of protocol and security issues. The Driver also demonstrates a client-oriented approach, courtesy, confidentiality, tact and ability to work with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
Upon the request of the supervisor, the Driver can be also required to provide driving services to the operations and programme staff in the Regional Office or consultants and experts and UN staff on mission, but this will not be the predominant function of the post
2. Major Activities/Expected Results
· Ensures provision of reliable and safe driving services by a) driving office vehicles for the transport of UNFPA Representative, other high-ranking officials and visitors and delivery and collection of mail, documents and other items, and b) meeting official personnel and visitors at the airport including visa and customs formalities arrangement when required;
· Keeps abreast of traffic and road and security and safety awareness to enable safe and on time arrival for meetings;
· Ensures cost-savings through proper use of vehicle through accurate maintenance of daily vehicle logs, provision of inputs to preparation of the vehicle maintenance plans and reports;
· Ensures proper day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle through timely minor repairs, arrangements for major repairs, timely changes of oil, check of tires, brakes and water levels, car washing, etc so that the vehicle is kept clean and in good running condition at all times;
· Ensures proper use of vehicle maintenance plans and assistance in preparing vehicle history report;
· Ensures availability of all the required documents/supplies including vehicle insurance, vehicle registration, vehicle logs, office directory, map of the city/country, first aid kit, necessary spare parts in the assigned vehicle;
· Keeps track of insurance and other tax formalities;
· Ensures that the steps required by rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in an accident;
· When necessary, translates in local language for the official personnel using the car;
· Provides guidance and coaching to junior drivers as necessary;
· Assists office staff in filing, photocopying and maintaining stores when required. Assists in the mailing and distribution of newsletters and publications and arranges to pay office telephone and other bills, as required.
3. Work Relations
Internal contacts with senior office staff and higher visiting officials to exchange basic information and at times provide straightforward translations of same.
External contacts relate to various arrangements for protocol purposes as well as exchanging basic information with national and international partners while carrying out the duties of the post. The incumbent may also be required to collaborate with other UN Agency Drivers for major functions.
5. Job Requirements
Education: Completed Secondary Level Education.
Knowledge and Experience:
· Valid driver’s license.
· Three years work experience as a driver in an international organization, embassy or UN system with a safe driving record.
· Knowledge of driving rules and regulations, chauffeur protocol and courtesies, and local roads and conditions, and defensive driving skills
· Skill in minor vehicle repairs
· Exemplifying integrity
· Demonstrating commitment to UNFPA and the UN system
· Embracing cultural diversity
· Embracing change
· Achieving results
· Being accountable
· Developing and applying professional expertise/ business acumen
· Thinking analytically and strategically
· Working in teams/ managing ourselves and our relationships
· Communicating for impact
Functional Skill Set:
· Providing logistical support
· Managing data
· Managing documents, correspondence and reports
· Managing information and work flow
· Planning, organizing and multitasking